(1) The performance was not very funny.
(2) Whether we'll go depends on the weather.
(3) Many natural materials are becoming scarce.
(4) Both you and I are students.
(5) What I think and what I seek have been fairly reflected in my paper.
What we have to learn are the pieces of language that produce inversion.
The performance of the first three clowns was very funny.
2) 由as well as, with, along with, like, together with, rather than, except,
but, including, accompanied by, plus, besides, in addition to, no less
(1) My father, as well as my brother, has a key to the office.
(2) The man together with his wife and kids sits there watching TV.
(3) Her brother no less than you is wrong.
Tom with his son, both looking very happy, are taking a walk in the park.
谓语动词仍要用单数形式。这类代词有either, neither, each, one, the other,
another, somebody, someone, something, anyone, anything, anybody,
everyone, everything, everybody, no one, nothing, nobody等。例如：
(1) Neither likes the friends of the other. (两人都不喜欢对方的朋友。)
(2) Everything around us is matter. (我们周围的所有东西都是物质。)
4) 在neither of与either of的结构里，一般语法书都认为谓语动词可用单数形式也
(1) Neither of them was in good health, but both worked hard.
(2) Has either of them been seen recently?
(1) The bread and butter is served for breakfast. (早饭供应黄油面包。)
(2) The bread and the butter are on sale. (正在出售黄油和面包。)
6) 当one of, a portion of, a series of, a species of, a chain of 结构作主语
(1) One of those students has failed the examination.
(2) A series of pre-recorded tapes has been prepared for language
7) form of, type of, kind of 结构的谓语视form, type与kind的单复数而定.
these/those kind/type of后是复数名词，谓语动词用复数形式。例如
(1) The kind of books an author writes depends on the kind of man who he is.
(2) Some new types of cars are now on show.
(3) These kind of recorders are not so good.
8)由one and a half + 复数名词作主语时，谓语动词视名词的单复数形式而定。例如：
One and a half apples is left on the plate.
9) 由the majority of + 名词作主语时，谓语动词视名词的单复数形式而定。例如：
(1) The majority of the damage is easy to fix.
(2) The majority of criminals are non-violent.
10) plenty of, half of, a lot of, lots of, heaps of, loads of 等 +
(1) Half of this building is to be completed by spring.
(2) Half of the buildings have been painted completely.
(3) There is plenty of water in the pail.
(4) There are plenty of eggs in the box.
(5) There is loads of milk on the farm.
(6) There are loads of big red apples on the ground.
1) Row upon row of soldiers is marching towards us on the field.
2) A body of volunteers has been organized to aid the helpless in their
struggle for survival.
11) 由all of, most of, a lot of, some of, none of, plenty of , the rest
等 + 名词作主语时，谓语动词的单数形式应与名词一致。例如：
(1) None of the books satisfy my father.
(2) None of this meat is fit to eat.
(3) All of the research work was designed by the chief engineer.
(4) All of the students are against the plan for an outing at this time of
12) 由more than one (或more than one + 单数名词)，many a + 单数名词作主语，
(1) More than one student has failed the examination.
(2) Many a boy learns to swim before he can walk.
例如：More than two hundred students have attended the lecture.
13) quantity of + 不可数名词，谓语动词用单数形式; quantities of + 可数与不
(1) Great quantities of milk are needed in this city.
(2) There is a large quantity of milk.
14) 如果名词词组中心词是“分数或百分数 + of + 名词”，谓语动词的单、复数形
(1) Over three-quarters of the swampland has been reclaimed. (2) Two-thirds
of the people present are against the plan.
(1) He is one of the men who were chosen to represent the group.
(2)“Keep cool” is the first of the rules that are to be remembered in an
He is the only one of those boys who is willing to take on another project.
1) 有些集合名词如crowd, family, team, orchestra（管弦乐队）, group,
government, committee, class, school, union, firm, staff, public等，它们作
(1) Her family is going to move.
(2) Her family are very well.
(3) The public is / are requested not to leave litter in the park.
(1) The government who were responsible for this event attempted to find a
(2) The government which was responsible for this event attempted to find
形式，如 people, police, militia, cattle, poultry（家禽）等。例如：
(1) Cattle were allowed to graze on the village common.
(2) The police are searching for a tall dark man with a beard.
3) 有些名词形式上是复数，而意义上却是单数。如news, means, works.还有许多以ics
结尾的学科名称，如economics, physics, mechanics, politics等，它们作主语时，
(1) Politics is a complicated business.
(2) Here is the news.
4) 用and连接的单数主语，前面有each, every, many a, no等修饰时，谓语动词要用
(1) Each pen and each paper is found in its place.
(2) Every boy and girl is treated in the same way.
(3) Many a boy and many a girl has seen it.
(4) The old workers and the young each have their own tools.
(1) Ten miles is a long way to walk.
(2) Four pints isn't enough to get me drunk.
(1) War and Peace is the longest book I've read.
(2) General Motors has recently closed down a plant.
7) the + 形容词作主语时，如主语指的是一类人，谓语动词用复数形式；如果指的是
(1) The blind are taught trades in special schools.
(2) The departed was a good friend of his.
1) 由连词or, neither…or, either…or, not only … also, nor等连接的并列主语，
(1) He or you have taken her book.
(2) Either you or he is no telling the truth.
(3) Not only the switches but also the old wiring has been changed.
2) 在there be 的结构中，谓语动词的单复数形式一般也采取就近原则。例如：
(1)There is a desk and four benches in the office.
(2)There are two chairs and a desk in the office.
(1) I recognized one of the girls, but I didn’t speak to her.
(2) That woman said that she was over fifty.
(3) They asked whom they should apply to.
(1) The committee have discussed their report on the disaster.
(2) The audience are raising their hands to signify their approval.
3) 当everyone, everybody, no one, nobody, anyone, anybody, someone, somebody
(1) If anyone calls, tell him I'll be back in a minute.
(2) Everyone thinks he is the center of class.
(1) Has anybody brought their camera?
(2) No one could blame themselves.
4) 由neither … nor, not only … but also, either … or, not … but, or等连结
(1) Neither you nor I am wrong, are we?
(2) Both Tom and Jack came, didn't they?
(1) China will always do what she has promised to do.
(2) The boy stood at the door with his hat in his hand.
(1) Neither Tom nor Mary has got what she wanted.
(2) If you should see Mary or Thomas, tell him the news.
(1) Food and rent are more expensive than they used to be.
(2) Tom and Jack spoke on the subject as if they were experts.
1) 当句子的主语是one, 并要在句子中多次出现时，一般用第三人称单数代词来代替后
(1) One should never blame his friends when he friends when he finds himself
(2) One can't be too careful, can you (one)?